NEW! The Harrier is a newly released product. Product is currently available. See ordering information below.
A near-credit-card sized embedded computer featuring Intel’s Apollo Lake Atom processor and error correcting memory. Includes TPM 2.0 security chip, on-board power regulation, USB and Ethernet, and Mini PCIe expansion sockets. Soldered-on ECC RAM enhances the extreme ruggedness and reliability.
Soldered-on ECC RAM for high-altitude applications
Small size (55 x 95 x 29 mm)
Ideal for SWaP applications
TPM 2.0 Security Chip
See datasheet for more details
|Mechanical||Size: 55 x 95 x 29 mm (2.17 x 3.74 x 1.14")|
|Mechanical||Weight: 140g (4.93 oz.)|
|Processor||Intel Apollo Lake (E39xx) Atom (dual & quad core)|
|Power (typical)||8.1 - 10.1W depending on model|
|Bus Expansion||Full Size Mini PCIe socket|
|Bus Expansion||Half Size Mini PCIe socket|
|Operating Temperature||-40° to +85°C|
|Shock and Vibration||MIL-STD-202H|
|Memory (RAM)||Up to 8 GB soldered-down error-correcting RAM|
|Display||Intel HD Graphics 500 or 505 depending on model|
|Display||Mini DisplayPort++ output (DisplayPort and HDMI signaling)|
|Display||Single-channel LVDS interface|
|Storage||SATA III port|
|Storage||On-board eMMC MLC Flash drive|
|Storage||Mini PCIe socket with mSATA support|
|Ethernet||Two 1GbE ports (10/100/1000 autodetect)|
|USB||One USB 3.0 / 2.0 port and four USB 2.0 host ports|
|Serial I/O||Two COM ports|
|Digital I/O||Eight TTL I/O lines (3.3V), independently configurable|
|Audio||No on-board audio. Use optional VL-ADR-01 audio interface|
|Other I/O||Single I2C|
|Other I/O||Three 8254 compatible Programmable Interval Timers (PITs)|
|Operating System Compatibility||Most x86 operating systems including Windows, Windows Embedded, Linux and VxWorks|
|Export Info||ECCN: 5A992.c|
|Export Info||Schedule B: 8471.60.7000|
See datasheet for full specifications
The Harrier is an extremely small and rugged SWaP-optimized embedded computer. It has been engineered and tested to meet the industries’ need for smaller, lighter, and lower power embedded systems. Slightly larger than a credit card and one inch thick, the Harrier is a member of VersaLogic’s small, ultra-rugged embedded x86 computers. Equipped with a powerful dual- or quad-core Intel “Apollo Lake” processor and soldered-on ECC RAM, the Harrier is designed to withstand extreme temperature, impact, and vibration.
Up to 8 GB of soldered-on Error Correcting Code (ECC) memory is available for high-reliability applications. ECC memory is beneficial in environments where single bit memory errors may occur, such as with cosmic ray interactions which increase dramatically with altitude.
A TPM 2.0 chip is included for hardware-based security.
On-board I/O includes dual Gigabit Ethernet, one USB 3.0 and four USB 2.0 ports, and two serial ports. SATA interface, eMMC Flash options, and a microSD socket provide a range of data storage options. Dual Mini PCIe sockets accommodate plug-in A/D, Wi-Fi modems, GPS receivers, MIL-STD-1553, Ethernet, Firewire, and other mini cards.
The Harrier is designed and tested for full industrial temperature (-40º to +85ºC) operation and meets MIL-STD-202H specifications for shock and vibration. It also features on-board power conditioning for dependable operation from nominal 12V sources.
VersaLogic’s 10+ year product life support programs ensure long-term availability. This avoids expensive upgrades and migrations that come from short, disposable lifecycle products.
- Harrier VL-EPU-4011 Datasheet 07/06/20 PDF 2.55 MB DOWNLOAD
- Harrier EPU-4011 Hardware Reference Manual 11/04/20 PDF 2.1 MB DOWNLOAD
- Harrier EPU-4011 Programmer's Reference Manual 04/29/20 PDF 291 KB DOWNLOAD
- Harrier EPU-4011 BIOS Reference Manual 05/27/20 PDF 467 KB DOWNLOAD
- Product Lifecycle Chart 10/26/20 PDF 194 KB DOWNLOAD
Software Support Packages
- Linux Ubuntu and CentOS VersaAPI 1.6.1 64-bit 07/28/20 TGZ 1.33 MB DOWNLOAD
- Linux Ubuntu and CentOS VersaAPI 1.6.0 64-bit 03/25/20 TGZ 1.31 MB DOWNLOAD
- Windows 10 VersaAPI 1.6.1 32-bit/64-bit 08/31/20 ZIP 6.26 MB DOWNLOAD
Additional Reference Materials
- White Paper: "Designing for Harsh Environments Using COTS Products" 09/24/08 PDF 749 KB DOWNLOAD
- White Paper: "The Myth: Extended Temperature Embedded Computers" 08/18/14 PDF 1.84 MB DOWNLOAD
- White Paper: "Ultra Reliable Embedded Computing" 02/20/14 PDF 1.01 MB DOWNLOAD
- White Paper: "The Invisible Foe - Understanding and Controlling ESD Damage" 07/09/13 PDF 453 KB DOWNLOAD
- Part Number Description
- VL-ADR-01S USB to Audio Adapter -25° to +85°C
- Cable Kit
- VL-CKR-BB11 EPU-3311 Osprey/EPU-4011 Harrier Eval. Cable Kit. Includes VL-CBR-0702, 1014, 1604, 2032, 0809, 4005, HDW-401, and 108.
- VL-CBR-4005 System I/O paddleboard
- VL-CBR-0702 SATA cable, latching, 20"
- VL-CBR-1604 Dual Ethernet adapter cable, latching, 12"
- VL-CBR-2032 miniDisplayPort to VGA adapter, 6"
- VL-CBR-0809 Power adapter cable, 12V medium-power. ATX12 to Osprey/Raven. 12"
- VL-CBR-1014 RS232 two channel cable 2xDsub (9-pin), latching, 12"
- VL-HDW-108 Mini PCIe card / mSATA 10x hold-down screws for use with 2.5 mm standoffs, Metric thread, Nylon
- VL-HDW-401 Thermal compound paste. For attaching heat plates and sinks.
- VL-CBR-0203 Battery module, 2-pin latching, 6"
- VL-CBR-0401 Power cable, ATX to SATA, 6.25"
- VL-CBR-0503 USB 2.0 Male A to Male Micro-B cable, 0.5 m
- VL-CBR-0701 SATA cable, 19.75"
- VL-CBR-1015 USB 3.0 Micro A plug to 3.0 Micro B plug, 1 m
- VL-CBR-2014 LVDS to VGA adapter board
- VL-CBR-2015 LVDS / flat panel cable, 24-bit (Hirose), 20"
- VL-CBR-2016 LVDS / flat panel cable, 18-bit (JAE), 20"
- VL-CBR-2017 LVDS / flat panel cable, 24-bit 20-pin 1mm (Hirose) to 1.25mm (Hirose), 20"
- VL-CBR-0404 LED back light, 3-pin Pico-Clasp / 4-pin IDE power to 6-pin 12V, 0.5 m
- VL-CBR-2031 miniDisplayPort to miniDisplayPort, 36"
- VL-CBR-2033 miniDisplayPort to HDMI active adapter, requires DP port, 6"
- VL-PS-ATX12-300A 300W ATX-style development power supply (24+8-pin ATX connector)
- VL-HDW-111 Half- to Full-Size MiniPCIe Adapter Kit. Metal adapter and 2x screws.
- Solid-State Storage (Flash Memory)
- VL-F41-xxxx microSD card (SDIO), SLC, industrial temperature
- Thermal Options
- VL-HDW-405 Secondary mounting plate. – Flat. 75 x 84 mm. Simplifies installation in many situations. Attaches to heat plate on standard product.
- VL-HDW-406 Passive Heat Sink. Mounts to product’s heat plate. 55 x 84 x 16mm
- VL-HDW-408 Heat Pipe system. Mounts to product’s heat plate. 55 x 84 x 8.2mm
- VL-HDW-411 Cooling fan for HDW-406 passive heat sink, 12V
- Part Number Description Form Factor
- VL-MPEs-S3E SATA Adapter, industrial temperature (SATA signaling) MSATA
- Analog & Digital I/O
- VL-MPEe-A1E Analog Input Module, x8 channels single ended (12-bit resolution), industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-A2E Analog Input Module, x8 channels single ended (16-bit resolution), industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEu-G2E GPS Receiver, industrial temperature (USB signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEu-G3E Precision GPS Receiver, industrial temperature (USB signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E3E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E4E Gigabit Ethernet Over Fiber Optic media (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E5E Two Channel Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E6E Gigabit Ethernet (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E6E-P Gigabit Ethernet with POE+ (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-FW1E 1394 Firewire Module, industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEu-C1E Dual Channel CAN Bus Module (USB signaling) Mini PCIe
- Serial I/O
- VL-MPEe-U2E RS-232/422/485 x4 + GPIO x12 Module, industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- Solid-State Storage (Flash Memory)
- VL-MPEs-F1Exx mSATA Module (4/16/32 GB) (SATA), industrial temperature (SATA signaling) MSATA
- VL-MPEe-V5E VGA and LVDS Interface, industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
ModelsModel: VL-EPU-4011-EAP-02X-08 Processor: Atom E3930 Cores: 2 Speed/Boost: 1.3/1.8 GHz RAM: 2 GB ECC eMMC Flash: 8 GB Cooling: Heat Plate OEM Pricing: Buy Sample:
Model: VL-EPU-4011-EDP-08X-32 Processor: Atom E3950 Cores: 4 Speed/Boost: 1.6/2.0 GHz RAM: 8 GB ECC eMMC Flash: 32 GB Cooling: Heat Plate OEM Pricing: Buy Sample:
Turnkey Evaluation Systems
Speed up product testing and quickly show proof of concept.
Turnkey Harrier evaluation systems let you load your application immediately.
Click here for more information.Evaluation System Info