NEW! The Harrier is a newly released product. Product is currently available. See ordering information below.
A near-credit-card sized embedded computer featuring Intel’s Apollo Lake Atom processor and error correcting memory. Includes TPM 2.0 security chip, on-board power regulation, USB and Ethernet, and Mini PCIe expansion sockets. Soldered-on ECC RAM enhances the extreme ruggedness and reliability.
Soldered-on ECC RAM for high-altitude applications
Small size (55 x 95 x 29 mm)
Ideal for SWaP applications
TPM 2.0 Security Chip
See datasheet for more details
|Mechanical||Size: 55 x 95 x 29 mm (2.17 x 3.74 x 1.14")|
|Mechanical||Weight: 140g (4.93 oz.)|
|Processor||Intel Apollo Lake (E39xx) Atom (dual & quad core)|
|Power (typical)||8.1 - 10.1W depending on model|
|Bus Expansion||Full Size Mini PCIe socket|
|Bus Expansion||Half Size Mini PCIe socket|
|Operating Temperature||-40° to +85°C|
|Shock and Vibration||MIL-STD-202H|
|Memory (RAM)||Up to 8 GB soldered-down error-correcting RAM|
|Display||Intel HD Graphics 500 or 505 depending on model|
|Display||Mini DisplayPort++ output (DisplayPort and HDMI signaling)|
|Display||Single-channel LVDS interface|
|Storage||SATA III port|
|Storage||On-board eMMC MLC Flash drive|
|Storage||Mini PCIe socket with mSATA support|
|Ethernet||Two 1GbE ports (10/100/1000 autodetect)|
|USB||One USB 3.0 / 2.0 port and four USB 2.0 host ports|
|Serial I/O||Two COM ports|
|Digital I/O||Eight TTL I/O lines (3.3V), independently configurable|
|Audio||No on-board audio. Use optional VL-ADR-01 audio interface|
|Other I/O||Single I2C|
|Other I/O||Three 8254 compatible Programmable Interval Timers (PITs)|
|Operating System Compatibility||Most x86 operating systems including Windows, Windows Embedded, Linux and VxWorks|
|Export Info||ECCN: 5A992.c|
|Export Info||Schedule B: 8471.60.7000|
See datasheet for full specifications
The Harrier is an extremely small and rugged SWaP-optimized embedded computer. It has been engineered and tested to meet the industries’ need for smaller, lighter, and lower power embedded systems. Slightly larger than a credit card and one inch thick, the Harrier is a member of VersaLogic’s small, ultra-rugged embedded x86 computers. Equipped with a powerful dual- or quad-core Intel “Apollo Lake” processor and soldered-on ECC RAM, the Harrier is designed to withstand extreme temperature, impact, and vibration.
Up to 8 GB of soldered-on Error Correcting Code (ECC) memory is available for high-reliability applications. ECC memory is beneficial in environments where single bit memory errors may occur, such as with cosmic ray interactions which increase dramatically with altitude.
A TPM 2.0 chip is included for hardware-based security.
On-board I/O includes dual Gigabit Ethernet, one USB 3.0 and four USB 2.0 ports, and two serial ports. SATA interface, eMMC Flash options, and a microSD socket provide a range of data storage options. Dual Mini PCIe sockets accommodate plug-in A/D, Wi-Fi modems, GPS receivers, MIL-STD-1553, Ethernet, Firewire, and other mini cards.
The Harrier, a member of the VersaLogic EPU product family, is designed and tested for full industrial temperature (-40º to +85ºC) operation and meets MIL-STD-202H specifications for shock and vibration. It also features on-board power conditioning for dependable operation from nominal 12V sources.
VersaLogic’s 10+ year product life support programs ensure long-term availability. This avoids expensive upgrades and migrations that come from short, disposable lifecycle products.
- Harrier VL-EPU-4011 Datasheet 07/06/20 PDF 2.55 MB DOWNLOAD
- Harrier EPU-4011 Hardware Reference Manual 01/12/21 PDF 2.1 MB DOWNLOAD
- Harrier EPU-4011 Programmer's Reference Manual 04/29/20 PDF 291 KB DOWNLOAD
- Harrier EPU-4011 BIOS Reference Manual 05/27/20 PDF 467 KB DOWNLOAD
- Product Lifecycle Chart 07/20/21 PDF 212 KB DOWNLOAD
- Product Lifecycle Chart 07/20/21 PDF 194 KB DOWNLOAD
- Product Family: Embedded Processing Units (EPUs) EPU INFO
- OS Compatibility 09/17/21 PDF 226 KB DOWNLOAD
Software Support Packages
- Linux Ubuntu and CentOS VersaAPI 1.7.2 64-bit 08/13/21 TGZ 1.49 MB DOWNLOAD
- Linux Ubuntu and CentOS VersaAPI 1.7.0 64-bit 05/27/21 TGZ 1.47 MB DOWNLOAD
- Linux Ubuntu and CentOS VersaAPI 1.6.1 64-bit 07/28/20 TGZ 1.33 MB DOWNLOAD
- Linux Ubuntu and CentOS VersaAPI 1.6.0 64-bit 03/25/20 TGZ 1.31 MB DOWNLOAD
- Windows 10 VersaAPI 1.6.1 32-bit/64-bit 08/31/20 ZIP 6.26 MB DOWNLOAD
Additional Reference Materials
- White Paper: "Designing for Harsh Environments Using COTS Products" 09/24/08 PDF 749 KB DOWNLOAD
- White Paper: "The Myth: Extended Temperature Embedded Computers" 08/18/14 PDF 1.84 MB DOWNLOAD
- White Paper: "Ultra Reliable Embedded Computing" 02/20/14 PDF 1.01 MB DOWNLOAD
- White Paper: "The Invisible Foe - Understanding and Controlling ESD Damage" 07/09/13 PDF 453 KB DOWNLOAD
- Part Number Description
- VL-ADR-01S USB to Audio Adapter -25° to +85°C
- Cable Kit
- VL-CKR-BB11 EPU-3311 Osprey/EPU-4011 Harrier Eval. Cable Kit. Includes VL-CBR-0702, 1014, 1604, 2032, 0809, 4005, HDW-401, and 108.
- VL-CBR-4005 System I/O paddleboard
- VL-CBR-0702 SATA cable, latching, 20"
- VL-CBR-1604 Dual Ethernet adapter cable, latching, 12"
- VL-CBR-2032 miniDisplayPort to VGA adapter, 6"
- VL-CBR-0809 Power adapter cable, 12V medium-power. ATX12 to Osprey/Raven. 12"
- VL-CBR-1014 RS232 two channel cable 2xDsub (9-pin), latching, 12"
- VL-HDW-108 Mini PCIe card / mSATA 10x hold-down screws for use with 2.5 mm standoffs, Metric thread, Nylon
- VL-HDW-401 Thermal compound paste. For attaching heat plates and sinks.
- VL-CBR-0203 Battery module, 2-pin latching, 6"
- VL-CBR-0401 Power cable, ATX to SATA, 6.25"
- VL-CBR-0503 USB 2.0 Male A to Male Micro-B cable, 0.5 m
- VL-CBR-0701 SATA cable, 19.75"
- VL-CBR-1015 USB 3.0 Micro A plug to 3.0 Micro B plug, 1 m
- VL-CBR-2014 LVDS to VGA adapter board
- VL-CBR-2015 LVDS / flat panel cable, 24-bit (Hirose), 20"
- VL-CBR-2016 LVDS / flat panel cable, 18-bit (JAE), 20"
- VL-CBR-2017 LVDS / flat panel cable, 24-bit 20-pin 1mm (Hirose) to 1.25mm (Hirose), 20"
- VL-CBR-0404 LED back light, 3-pin Pico-Clasp / 4-pin IDE power to 6-pin 12V, 0.5 m
- VL-CBR-2031 miniDisplayPort to miniDisplayPort, 36"
- VL-CBR-2033 miniDisplayPort to HDMI active adapter, requires DP port, 6"
- VL-PS-ATX12-300A 300W ATX-style development power supply (24+8-pin ATX connector)
- VL-HDW-111 Half- to Full-Size MiniPCIe Adapter Kit. Metal adapter and 2x screws.
- Solid-State Storage (Flash Memory)
- VL-F41-xxxx microSD card (SDIO), SLC, industrial temperature
- Thermal Options
- VL-HDW-405 Secondary mounting plate. – Flat. 75 x 84 mm. Simplifies installation in many situations. Attaches to heat plate on standard product.
- VL-HDW-406 Passive Heat Sink. Mounts to product’s heat plate. 55 x 84 x 16mm
- VL-HDW-408 Heat Pipe system. Mounts to product’s heat plate. 55 x 84 x 8.2mm
- VL-HDW-411 Cooling fan for HDW-406 passive heat sink, 12V
- Part Number Description Form Factor
- VL-MPEs-S3E SATA Adapter, industrial temperature (SATA signaling) MSATA
- Analog & Digital I/O
- VL-MPEe-A1E Analog Input Module, x8 channels single ended (12-bit resolution), industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-A2E Analog Input Module, x8 channels single ended (16-bit resolution), industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEu-G2E GPS Receiver, industrial temperature (USB signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEu-G3E Precision GPS Receiver, industrial temperature (USB signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E4E Gigabit Ethernet Over Fiber Optic media (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E5E Two Channel Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E6E Gigabit Ethernet (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E6E-P Gigabit Ethernet with POE+ (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-FW1E 1394 Firewire Module, industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEu-C1E Dual Channel CAN Bus Module (USB signaling) Mini PCIe
- Serial I/O
- VL-MPEe-U2E RS-232/422/485 x4 + GPIO x12 Module, industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- Solid-State Storage (Flash Memory)
- VL-MPEs-F1Exx mSATA Module (4/16/32 GB) (SATA), industrial temperature (SATA signaling) MSATA
- VL-MPEe-V5E VGA and LVDS Interface, industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
ModelsModel: VL-EPU-4011-EAP-02X-08 Processor: Atom E3930 Cores: 2 Speed/Boost: 1.3/1.8 GHz RAM: 2 GB ECC eMMC Flash: 8 GB Cooling: Heat Plate Pricing/Sample: Pricing/Sample
Model: VL-EPU-4011-EDP-08X-32 Processor: Atom E3950 Cores: 4 Speed/Boost: 1.6/2.0 GHz RAM: 8 GB ECC eMMC Flash: 32 GB Cooling: Heat Plate Pricing/Sample: Pricing/Sample
Turnkey Evaluation Systems
Speed up product testing and quickly show proof of concept.
Turnkey Harrier evaluation systems let you load your application immediately.
Click here for more information.Evaluation System Info