Notice: The Cheetah has reached the end of its off-the-shelf availability. Contact VersaLogic Sales for availability and extended lifecycle options.
A single board computer, integrating very high performance with an expanded feature set on the compact and rugged PC/104-Plus form factor. The advanced design of the Pentium M processor makes it suitable for a wide range of higher-end applications such as security systems, telematics, UAVs, and sophisticated communications equipment.
Pentium M 1.8 GHz or ULV Celeron M 1.0 GHz options
Extreme Graphics 2 Video
Very high speed rendering and MPEG-2 support
SO-DIMM Memory Socket
Accommodates up to 1 GB of DDR RAM
See datasheet for more details
|Mechanical||Size: Two-board set, 90 x 96 mm (3.55 x 3.78”)|
|Mechanical||Weight: 250g (8.8 oz)|
|Processor||Pentium M or ULV Celeron M series|
|Power (typical)||8 - 25W|
|Operating Temperature||0° to +60°C or -40° to +85°C depending on model|
|Shock and Vibration||MIL-STD-202G|
|Memory (RAM)||Up to 1 GB of 266 MHz PC2100 or 333 MHz PC2700 compatible DDR RAM|
|Display||Extreme Graphics 2 chip set|
|Display||Standard analog and LVDS display interfaces|
|Ethernet||One 10/100 autodetect port|
|USB||Two USB 1.1/2.0 host ports|
|Serial I/O||Two COM ports|
|Audio||AC '97 PCI compatible. Stereo line in. Stereo line out.|
|Other I/O||LPT Interface|
|Operating System Compatibility||Most x86 operating systems including Windows, Windows Embedded, Linux, VxWorks, and QNX.|
See datasheet for full specifications
The Cheetah single board computer reaches a new level of sophistication for embedded product technology, integrating very high performance with an expanded feature set on the compact and rugged PC/104-Plus form factor. The advanced design of the Pentium M processor makes it suitable for a wide range of higher-end applications such as security systems, telematics, UAVs, and sophisticated communications equipment.
An impressive amount of functionality is packed into the 2-board set, including 10/100 Ethernet, two USB 2.0 ports, two COM ports, LPT, IDE, audio, and high-resolution video output. It includes a CompactFlash socket for on-board bootable media storage, TVS devices on the user I/O for enhanced ESD protection, and a watchdog timer to control application run-away conditions. The Cheetah accommodates up to 1 GB DDR system RAM in a high-retention SODIMM socket.
Like all VersaLogic products, this small, powerful SBC is designed to support OEM applications where high reliability and long-term availability are required. From application design-in to 5+ years production life, its quality and longevity provide a cost-effective, long-term solution. The Cheetah is manufactured and tested to the highest quality standards and is backed by a two year limited warranty. Customization is available in as few as 100 pieces.
The Cheetah’s Pentium M processor provides outstanding performance of up to 1.8 GHz while drawing less than 25 watts of power, or about half the power of desktop processors offering similar performance. The processor and chipset solution relies on three separate chips: the processor, a graphics and memory controller hub that provides fast RAM access and video output, and an I/O hub that provides PCI, IDE, USB, and audio functionality.
The Extreme Graphics 2 video built into the chipset offers outputs for LVDS flat panels and analog (CRT) monitors at resolutions up to 2048 x 1536. It supports 24-bit color, very fast rendering, and MPEG-2 decoding for full motion video. Video RAM is allocated from system memory (up to 64 MB).
With two COM ports, two USB ports (2.0), 10/100 Ethernet, LPT port, and IDE interface, the Cheetah offers more I/O options than other similar-sized SBCs. In addition, PC/104 and PC/104-Plus connectors provide support for many off-the-shelf expansion boards for added system functionality with minimal space requirements. The Cheetah also includes a number of reliability-enhancing features such as a watchdog timer and TVS devices.
The Cheetah features a General Software Embedded BIOS with OEM enhancements. The field-reprogrammable BIOS supports custom defaults and CMOS settings. Optional firmware and firmbase applications for security processes, remote booting, and other pre-OS software functions are supported. The Cheetah is compatible with a variety of popular operating systems, including Windows, QNX, VxWorks, and Linux.
- Cheetah VL-EPM-32 Datasheet 06/08/10 PDF 1.19 MB DOWNLOAD
- Cheetah VL-EPM-32 Reference Manual 12/13/13 PDF 856 KB DOWNLOAD
Software Support Packages
- Windows XP (SP2) DRV-WXP-PMCM 1.0.0 02/22/10 ZIP 9.9 MB DOWNLOAD
- Linux Debian 5.0 DEV-CD-L2 3.0.0 02/18/09 ZIP 73 MB DOWNLOAD
- Linux Debian 3.1 DEV-CD-L2 2.0.2 08/12/08 ZIP 55 MB DOWNLOAD
- BIOS Release 5.3.103 03/30/08 BIN 320 KB DOWNLOAD
- BIOS Release 5.3.102 - Initial Release 04/02/06 BIN 320 KB DOWNLOAD
- BIOS Upgrade Utilities and Instructions READ
- PLD Fixes a COMDIR read/write register mismatch for Models c, p, v 02/03/09 ZIP 38 KB DOWNLOAD
- PLD Fixes a COMDIR read/write register mismatch for Models e, t 02/03/09 ZIP 38 KB DOWNLOAD
- PLD Upgrade Information READ
Additional Reference Materials
- Component Info: Intel Pentium M 1.8 GHz Processor Datasheet 03/06/03 PDF 1.85 MB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: Intel 855GME Graphics and Memory Controller Hub Datasheet 09/16/03 PDF 1.47 MB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: Intel 855GME Graphics and Memory Controller Hub Driver for Win VISIT SITE
- Component Info: Intel I/O Controller Hub 4 Datasheet 05/14/02 PDF 6.69 MB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: Intel 82551ER Fast Ethernet Controller Datasheet 11/24/08 PDF 742 KB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: Intel 82551ER Fast Ethernet Controller Driver for Win 98/2000/XP VISIT SITE
- Component Info: SMSC LPC47S422 Super I/O Chip Datasheet PDF 840 KB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: ITE IT8888G PCI to ISA Bridge Datasheet 05/19/05 PDF 613 KB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: PC87200PCI to ISA Bridge Datasheet 08/25/99 PDF 115 KB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: Analog Devices AD1981 Audio CODEC Datasheet 01/17/05 PDF 970 KB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: Analog Devices AD1981 Audio CODEC Driver for Generic Audio ZIP 3.97 MB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: Analog Devices ADM1032 Temperature Sensor Datasheet 11/14/05 PDF 398 KB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: Analog Devices ADM211EARS RS-232 Transceiver Dataheet 03/28/01 PDF 227 KB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: Texas Instruments SN65HVD12D RS-422/485 Transceiver Datasheet 06/14/16 PDF 268 KB DOWNLOAD