NEW! The Owl is a newly released product. Product is currently available. See ordering information below.
A compact 95 x 95 x 29 mm embedded computer featuring error-correcting memory, and a power-saving dual- or quad-core “Apollo Lake” processor. It includes TPM 2.0 security, latching I/O connectors, high performance video, and full -40° to +85°C operating range.
Up to 8 GB soldered-on ECC RAM
TPM 2.0 Security Chip
COMe Compact size (95 x 95mm), low power (8W typ.)
Ideal for SWaP applications
See datasheet for more details
|Mechanical||Size: 95 x 95 x 29 mm (3.74 x 3.74 x 1.14")|
|Mechanical||Weight: 200g (7.05 oz)|
|Processor||Intel Apollo Lake (E39xx) Atom (dual & quad core)|
|Input Voltage||8V-30V DC|
|Power (typical)||8.1 - 10.1W depending on model|
|Bus Expansion||Two Full-length Mini PCIe sockets|
|Operating Temperature||-40° to +85°C|
|Shock and Vibration||MIL-STD-202H|
|Memory (RAM)||Up to 8 GB error-correcting soldered-down RAM|
|Display||Intel HD Graphics 500 or 505 depending on model|
|Display||Mini DisplayPort++ output (DisplayPort and HDMI signaling)|
|Display||Single-channel LVDS interface|
|Storage||One SATA III port|
|Storage||microSD socket, bootable|
|Storage||Mini PCIe socket with mSATA support|
|Network||Two 1GbE ports (10/100/1000 autodetect)|
|USB||One USB 3.0 / 2.0 port|
|USB||Four USB 2.0 host ports|
|Serial I/O||Four COM ports|
|Digital I/O||Eight TTL I/O lines (3.3V), independently configurable|
|Audio||No on-board audio. Use optional VL-ADR-01 audio interface|
|Other I/O||Single I2C|
|Other I/O||Three 8254 compatible Programmable Interval Timers (PITs)|
|Operating System Compatibility||Most x86 operating systems including Windows, Windows Embedded, Linux and VxWorks|
|Export Info||ECCN: 5A992.c|
|Export Info||Schedule B: 8471.60.7000|
See datasheet for full specifications
The Owl is a small, rugged board-level embedded computer. Approximately four inches square and one inch thick, the Owl is a member of VersaLogic's ultra-rugged x86 computer family. Equipped with a powerful dual- or quad-core Intel "Apollo Lake" processor, and soldered-on ECC RAM, the Owl is designed to withstand extreme temperature, impact, and vibration.
Up to 8 GB of soldered-on Error Correcting Code (ECC) memory is available for high-reliability applications. ECC memory is beneficial in environments where single bit memory errors may occur, such as cosmic ray interactions which increase dramatically with altitude.
A TPM 2.0 chip supports hardware-based security.
On-board I/O includes dual Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports, serial ports, and analog inputs. SATA interface, eMMC Flash options, and a microSD socket provide a range of data storage options. Dual Mini PCIe sockets accommodate a wide range of plug-in accessory cards.
The on-board power conditioning supports an input of 8 to 30 volts to simplify system power supply requirements. The Owl is fully compatible with 12 or 24V vehicle applications. Over Voltage Protection and Reverse Voltage Protection are included to enhance reliability in the field.
For hostile environments, the Owl is designed and tested for full industrial temperature operation (-40º to +85ºC) and meets MIL-STD-202H specifications for shock and vibration.
VersaLogic's 10+ year product life support programs ensure long-term availability. This avoids expensive upgrades, redesigns, and migrations that come from shorter lifecycle products.
- Owl VL-EPU-4012 Datasheet 7/8/2020 PDF 2.6 MB DOWNLOAD
- Owl EPU-4012 Hardware Reference Manual 6/17/2020 PDF 2.66 MB DOWNLOAD
- Owl EPU-4012 Programmer's Reference Manual 4/29/2020 PDF 403 KB DOWNLOAD
Software Support Packages
Additional Reference Materials
- White Paper: "Securing Embedded Systems - Trusted Platform Module" 9/11/2017 PDF 818 KB DOWNLOAD
- White Paper: "Designing for Harsh Environments Using COTS Products" 9/24/2008 PDF 749 KB DOWNLOAD
- White Paper: "The Myth: Extended Temperature Embedded Computers" 8/18/2014 PDF 1.84 MB DOWNLOAD
- White Paper: "Ultra Reliable Embedded Computing" 2/20/2014 PDF 1.01 MB DOWNLOAD
- White Paper: "The Invisible Foe - Understanding and Controlling ESD Damage" 7/9/2013 PDF 453 KB DOWNLOAD
- Part Number Description
- VL-ADR-01S USB to Audio Adapter -25° to +85°C
- Cable Kit
- VL-CBR-4005 System I/O paddleboard
- VL-CBR-0702 SATA cable, latching, 20"
- VL-CBR-1604 Dual Ethernet adapter cable, latching, 12"
- VL-CKR-BB12 EPU-3312 Raven/EPU-4012 Owl Eval. Cable Kit. Includes VL-CBR-0702, 1014x2, 1604, 2004, 2032, 0809, 4005, HDW-401, and 108.
- VL-CBR-2004 Analog I/O cable and paddleboard, 1mm 20-pin, 12"
- VL-CBR-2032 miniDisplayPort to VGA adapter, 6"
- VL-CBR-0809 Power adapter cable, 12V medium-power. ATX12 to Osprey/Raven. 12"
- VL-CBR-1014 RS232 two channel cable 2xDsub (9-pin), latching, 12"
- VL-HDW-108 Mini PCIe card / mSATA 10x hold-down screws for use with 2.5 mm standoffs, Metric thread, Nylon
- VL-HDW-401 Thermal compound paste. For attaching heat plates and sinks.
- VL-CBR-0203 Battery module, 2-pin latching, 6"
- VL-CBR-0401 Power cable, ATX to SATA, 6.25"
- VL-CBR-0503 USB 2.0 Male A to Male Micro-B cable, 0.5 m
- VL-CBR-0701 SATA cable, 19.75"
- VL-CBR-1015 USB 3.0 Micro A plug to 3.0 Micro B plug, 1 m
- VL-CBR-2014 LVDS to VGA adapter board
- VL-CBR-2015 LVDS / flat panel cable, 24-bit (Hirose), 20"
- VL-CBR-2016 LVDS / flat panel cable, 18-bit (JAE), 20"
- VL-CBR-2017 LVDS / flat panel cable, 24-bit 20-pin 1mm (Hirose) to 1.25mm (Hirose), 20"
- VL-CBR-0404 LED back light, 3-pin Pico-Clasp / 4-pin IDE power to 6-pin 12V, 0.5 m
- VL-CBR-2031 miniDisplayPort to miniDisplayPort, 36"
- VL-CBR-2033 miniDisplayPort to HDMI active adapter, requires DP port, 6"
- VL-PS-ATX12-300A 300W ATX-style development power supply (24+8-pin ATX connector)
- VL-HDW-111 Half- to Full-Size MiniPCIe Adapter Kit. Metal adapter and 2x screws.
- Solid-State Storage (Flash Memory)
- VL-F41-xxxx microSD card (SDIO), SLC, industrial temperature
- Thermal Options
- VL-HDW-416 Passive Heat Sink. Mounts to heat plate on standard product 95 x 95 x 10.5 mm
- VL-HDW-415 Cooling fan for HDW-416/ 417 passive heatsinks, 12V
- VL-HDW-408 Heat Pipe system. Mounts to product’s heat plate. 55 x 84 x 8.2mm
- Part Number Description Form Factor
- VL-MPEs-S3E SATA Adapter, industrial temperature (SATA signaling) MSATA
- Analog & Digital I/O
- VL-MPEe-A1E Analog Input Module, x8 channels single ended (12-bit resolution), industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-A2E Analog Input Module, x8 channels single ended (16-bit resolution), industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEu-G2E GPS Receiver, industrial temperature (USB signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEu-G3E Precision GPS Receiver, industrial temperature (USB signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E3E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E4E Gigabit Ethernet Over Fiber Optic media (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E5E Two Channel Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E6E Gigabit Ethernet (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E6E-P Gigabit Ethernet with POE+ (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-FW1E 1394 Firewire Module, industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEu-C1E Dual Channel CAN Bus Module (USB signaling) Mini PCIe
- Serial I/O
- VL-MPEe-U2E RS-232/422/485 x4 + GPIO x12 Module, industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- Solid-State Storage (Flash Memory)
- VL-MPEs-F1Exx mSATA Module (4/16/32 GB) (SATA), industrial temperature (SATA signaling) MSATA
- VL-MPEe-V5E VGA and LVDS Interface, industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
ModelsModel: VL-EPU-4012-EAP-02X-08 Processor: Atom E3930 Cores: 2 Speed: 1.3 GHz RAM: 2 GB ECC eMMC Flash: 8 GB Cooling: Heat Plate
Model: VL-EPU-4012-EDP-08X-32 Processor: Atom E3950 Cores: 4 Speed: 1.6 GHz RAM: 8 GB ECC eMMC Flash: 32 GB Cooling: Heat Plate
- Model Processor Cores Speed RAM eMMC Flash Cooling Buy Sample
- VL-EPU-4012-EAP-02X-08 Atom E3930 2 1.3 GHz 2 GB ECC 8 GB Heat Plate -
- VL-EPU-4012-EDP-08X-32 Atom E3950 4 1.6 GHz 8 GB ECC 32 GB Heat Plate -