A small form factor (SFF) credit-card sized package featuring Intel’s Atom Bay Trail processor. It features considerable on-board I/O such as a high-speed USB 3.0 channel and dual Gigabit Ethernet. Additional I/O expansion is available using the two on-board Mini PCIe sockets. It includes soldered-on RAM for extreme ruggedness.
Embedded Processing Unit
A rugged 55 x 95 x 28 mm complete embedded computer
Low power consumption
As low as 5.9 W Typical
Two Mini PCIe sockets
Small yet expandable
See datasheet for more details
|Mechanical||Size: 55 x 95 x 27.5 mm (2.17 x 3.74 x 1.08")|
|Mechanical||Weight: 140g (4.93 oz.)|
|Processor||Intel Bay Trail Atom (dual core)|
|Power (typical)||5.9–7.3W depending on model|
|Bus Expansion||Full Size Mini PCIe socket|
|Bus Expansion||Half Size Mini PCIe socket|
|Operating Temperature||-40° to +85°C|
|Shock and Vibration||MIL-STD-202G|
|Memory (RAM)||Up to 4 GB soldered-down DDR3L RAM|
|Display||Intel Gen-7 graphics|
|Display||Mini DisplayPort++ output (DisplayPort and HDMI signaling)|
|Display||Single-channel LVDS interface|
|Storage||One SATA 3 Gb/s port|
|Storage||On-board eMMC MLC Flash drive|
|Storage||One microSD socket|
|Storage||Mini PCIe socket with mSATA support|
|Ethernet||Two 1GbE ports (10/100/1000 autodetect)|
|USB||One USB 3.0 / 2.0 port and four USB 2.0 host ports|
|Serial I/O||Two COM ports|
|Digital I/O||Eight TTL I/O lines (3.3V), independently configurable|
|Audio||No on-board audio. Use optional VL-ADR-01 audio interface|
|Other I/O||Single I2C|
|Operating System Compatibility||Most x86 operating systems including Windows, Windows Embedded, Linux and VxWorks|
|Export Info||ECCN: 5A992.c|
|Export Info||Schedule B: 8471.60.7000|
The Osprey is an extremely small and rugged embedded computer. It has been engineered and tested to meet the Military and Medical industries' needs for smaller, lighter, and lower power embedded systems while adhering to stringent regulatory standards. Slightly larger in size than a credit card and one inch thick, the Osprey is a member of the VersaLogic family of the industry's smallest, lightest, ultra-rugged embedded x86 computers. This embedded computer, equipped with an Intel Atom E38xx Bay Trail processor, is designed to withstand extreme temperature, impact, and vibration. Advanced features include USB 3.0, dual Mini PCIe sockets, and a DisplayPort++ video output.
Available in single-, dual-, and quad-core versions, the Osprey provides extreme performance for its size, moderate power consumption (6 to 7W typical), and a very compact package. The Osprey provides compatibility with a broad range of standard x86 application development tools for reduced development time.
The integrated Intel Gen-7 graphics core provides hardware-accelerated MPEG-4/H.264 and MPEG-2 video encoding and decoding. DisplayPort++ and standard LVDS video outputs support multiple display modes including Extended Desktop and Clone. An optional adapter converts the LVDS output to VGA.
Industry-standard system interfaces include dual Gigabit Ethernet with network boot capability, a USB 3.0 port, four USB 2.0 ports, and two serial ports. A SATA 3 Gb/s interface supports high-capacity storage. On-board eMMC Flash, a microSD socket and Mini PCIe socket with mSATA support, provide flexible solid-state drive (SSD) options. A second Mini PCIe socket also accommodates plug-in A/D, Wi-Fi modems, GPS receivers, MIL-STD-1553, Ethernet, Firewire, and other mini cards.
Designed and tested for industrial temperature (-40° to +85°C) operation, the rugged Osprey also meets MIL-STD-202G specifications for shock and vibration. Soldered-on RAM and latching SATA, Ethernet, power, and main I/O connectors provide additional ruggedization for use in extremely harsh environments.
A wide input voltage range of 8 to 17 volts (12V typ.) greatly simplifies system power supply requirements. It is fully compatible with 12V automotive applications.
Osprey is compatible with a variety of popular x86 operating systems including Windows, Linux, and VxWorks.
Product customization is available, even in low quantities. Options include conformal coating, BGA underfill, BIOS / splash screen configuration, application specific testing, BOM revision locks, custom labeling, etc.
VersaLogic products are designed for use by OEMs working in a variety of market applications: Aerospace, Defense, Energy, Industrial, Security, Medical, Military, Robotics, and Transportation. VersaLogic delivers extremely reliable standard and customized embedded computers backed with unsurpassed service and the highest availability in the market.
- Osprey VL-EPU-3311 Datasheet 8/0/2019 PDF 3.5 MB DOWNLOAD
- Osprey EPU-3311 Osprey Reference Manual 3/17/2020 PDF 3.23 MB DOWNLOAD
- Osprey EPU-3311 Osprey Programmer's Reference Manual 2/7/2020 PDF 934 KB DOWNLOAD
- Osprey EPU-3311 Osprey BIOS Reference Manual 9/30/2016 PDF 660 KB DOWNLOAD
Software Support Packages
- Windows 10 VersaAPI 1.4.7 64-bit (EPUs) 5/16/2019 ZIP 2.44 MB DOWNLOAD
- Windows 10 Enterprise DRV-WIN10-BAYTRAIL 1.0.0 32- and 64-bit 6/3/2016 ZIP 70 MB DOWNLOAD
- Windows 7 SP1 Build 7601 DRV-WIN7-BAYTRAIL 2.0.0 32- and 64-bit 6/3/2016 ZIP 283 MB DOWNLOAD
- Linux Ubuntu and CentOS VersaAPI 1.6.0 64-bit 3/25/2020 TGZ 1.32 MB DOWNLOAD
- Linux Ubuntu 16.04 VersaAPI 1.5.0 64-bit 6/25/2019 ZIP 159 KB DOWNLOAD
- Linux Ubuntu 14.04.4 VersaAPI 1.4.2 32-bit 9/1/2016 ZIP 96 KB DOWNLOAD
- Linux Ubuntu 14.04.4 VersaAPI 1.4.2 64-bit 9/1/2016 ZIP 95 KB DOWNLOAD
- BIOS Release 1.05 7/16/2018 CONTACT SUPPORT
- BIOS Release 1.04 10/16/2017 ZIP 6.48 MB DOWNLOAD
- BIOS Release 1.03 8/16/2016 ZIP 7 MB DOWNLOAD
Additional Reference Materials
- Component Info: Intel 4th Generation Atom (formerly "Bay Trail") System-on-Chip (SoC) E38xx Processor Datasheet VISIT SITE
- Component Info: Intel I210-IT Gigabit Ethernet Controller Datasheet VISIT SITE
- White Paper: "Designing for Harsh Environments Using COTS Products" 9/24/2008 PDF 749 KB DOWNLOAD
- White Paper: "The Myth: Extended Temperature Embedded Computers" 8/18/2014 PDF 1.84 MB DOWNLOAD
- White Paper: "Ultra Reliable Embedded Computing" 2/20/2014 PDF 1.01 MB DOWNLOAD
- White Paper: "The Invisible Foe - Understanding and Controlling ESD Damage" 7/9/2013 PDF 453 KB DOWNLOAD
- Part Number Description
- VL-ADR-01S USB to Audio Adapter -25° to +85°C
- Cable Kit
- VL-CKR-BB11 EPU-3311 Osprey/EPU-4011 Harrier Eval. Cable Kit. Includes VL-CBR-0702, 1014, 1604, 2032, 0809, 4005, HDW-401, and 108.
- VL-CBR-4005 System I/O paddleboard
- VL-CBR-0702 SATA cable, latching, 20"
- VL-CBR-0809 Power adapter cable, 12V medium-power. ATX12 to Osprey/Raven. 12"
- VL-CBR-1604 Dual Ethernet adapter cable, latching, 12"
- VL-CBR-2032 miniDisplayPort to VGA adapter, 6"
- VL-CBR-1014 RS232 two channel cable 2xDsub (9-pin), latching, 12"
- VL-HDW-401 Thermal compound paste. For attaching heat plates and sinks.
- VL-HDW-108 Mini PCIe card / mSATA 10x hold-down screws for use with 2.5 mm standoffs, Metric thread, Nylon
- VL-CBR-0203 Battery module, 2-pin latching, 6"
- VL-CBR-0401 Power cable, ATX to SATA, 6.25"
- VL-CBR-0503 USB 2.0 Male A to Male Micro-B cable, 0.5 m
- VL-CBR-0701 SATA cable, 19.75"
- VL-CBR-1015 USB 3.0 Micro A plug to 3.0 Micro B plug, 1 m
- VL-CBR-2014 LVDS to VGA adapter board
- VL-CBR-2015 LVDS / flat panel cable, 24-bit (Hirose), 20"
- VL-CBR-2016 LVDS / flat panel cable, 18-bit (JAE), 20"
- VL-CBR-2017 LVDS / flat panel cable, 24-bit 20-pin 1mm (Hirose) to 1.25mm (Hirose), 20"
- VL-CBR-0404 LED back light, 3-pin Pico-Clasp / 4-pin IDE power to 6-pin 12V, 0.5 m
- VL-CBR-2031 miniDisplayPort to miniDisplayPort, 36"
- VL-CBR-2033 miniDisplayPort to HDMI active adapter, requires DP port, 6"
- VL-PS-ATX12-300A 300W ATX-style development power supply (24+8-pin ATX connector)
- VL-DEV-USB-VV1 VersaViewer: A real-time viewer for embedded hardware developers.
- Solid State Drives
- VL-F41-8EBN SSD 8 GB SLC MicroSD card, industrial temperature
- VL-F41-4EBN SSD 4 GB SLC MicroSD card, industrial temperature
- VL-F41-2EBN SSD 2 GB SLC MicroSD card, industrial temperature
- Thermal Options
- VL-HDW-406 Passive Heat Sink. Mounts to product’s heat plate. 55 x 84 x 16mm
- VL-HDW-411 Cooling fan for HDW-406 passive heat sink, 12V
- VL-HDW-408 Heat Pipe system. Mounts to product’s heat plate. 55 x 84 x 8.2mm
- VL-HDW-405 Secondary mounting plate. – Flat. 75 x 84 mm. Simplifies installation in many situations. Attaches to heat plate on standard product.
- Part Number Description Form Factor
- VL-MPEs-S3E SATA Adapter, industrial temperature (SATA signaling) MSATA
- Analog & Digital I/O
- VL-MPEe-A1E Analog Input Module, x8 channels single ended (12-bit resolution), industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-A2E Analog Input Module, x8 channels single ended (16-bit resolution), industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEu-G2E GPS Receiver, industrial temperature (USB signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEu-G3E Precision GPS Receiver, industrial temperature (USB signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E3E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E4E Gigabit Ethernet Over Fiber Optic media (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E5E Two Channel Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-FW1E 1394 Firewire Module, industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEu-C1E Dual Channel CAN Bus Module (USB signaling) Mini PCIe
- Serial I/O
- VL-MPEe-U2E RS-232/422/485 x4 + GPIO x12 Module, industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- Solid-State Storage (Flash memory)
- VL-MPEs-F1E32 32 GB mSATA drive, industrial temperature (SATA signaling) MSATA
- VL-MPEs-F1E16 16 GB mSATA drive, industrial temperature (SATA signaling) MSATA
- VL-MPEs-F1E4 4 GB mSATA drive, industrial temperature (SATA signaling) MSATA
- VL-MPEe-V5E VGA and LVDS Interface, industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
ModelsModel: VL-EPU-3311-EAP Processor: Atom E3815 Cores: 1 Speed: 1.46 GHz RAM: 2 GB eMMC Flash: None Cooling: Heat plate Buy Online
Model: VL-EPU-3311-EBP Processor: Atom E3827 Cores: 2 Speed: 1.75 GHz RAM: 2 GB eMMC Flash: 4 GB Cooling: Heat plate Buy Online
Model: VL-EPU-3311-EDP Processor: Atom E3845 Cores: 4 Speed: 1.91 GHz RAM: 4 GB eMMC Flash: 8 GB Cooling: Heat plate Buy Online