Notice: The VL-SPX-3 has reached the end of its off-the-shelf availability. Contact VersaLogic Sales for availability and extended lifecycle options.
Utilizing a single 14-pin cable, SPX expansion modules can be freely mounted, up to two feet from an SPX-enabled baseboard. This is particularly useful in highly compact areas or high-noise environments common in industrial, automotive, and medical applications. The small (1.2” x 3.8”) SPX modules can also be attached to the baseboard using standoffs.
1.2” x 3.8” size is ideal for space-constrained applications.
CAN V2.0B interface operates at speeds up to 1 Mbit/s.
Ease of Use
Simple cable-based interface using SPI signaling.
See datasheet for more details
|Mechanical||Size: SPX standard: 30.5 x 96 mm (1.2 x 3.78")|
|Power (typical)||9.4 mA|
|Bus Interface||SPI/SPX. 3.3V signaling|
|Operating Temperature||-40° to +85°C|
|Shock and Vibration||MIL-STD-202G|
|Other I/O||CAN V2.0B interface|
|Operating System Compatibility||Most x86 operating systems including Windows, Windows Embedded, Linux, VxWorks, and QNX.|
|Export Info||ECCN: 4A994.a|
|Export Info||Schedule B: 8471.60.7000|
See datasheet for full specifications
A member of VersaLogic’s family of SPX expansion modules, the VL-SPX-3 provides a new level of economy and convenience to expand the capabilities of embedded computing systems. Unlike typical larger expansion formats, the SPX format does not require a stacking connector or a position in the expansion stack. Utilizing a single 14-pin cable, SPX expansion modules can be freely mounted, up to two feet from an SPX-enabled baseboard. This is particularly useful in highly compact areas or high-noise environments common in industrial, automotive, and medical applications. The small (1.2” x 3.8”) SPX modules can also be attached to the baseboard using standoffs. Up to four SPX modules can be daisy-chained together to meet specifically targeted I/O requirements, resulting in substantial cost and space savings for developers.
Like all VersaLogic products, the VL-SPX-3 is designed to support rugged OEM applications where high reliability and long-term availability are required. From application design-in to 5+ guaranteed years of production life, the VL-SPX-3 provides a durable expansion solution with an excellent cost of ownership. The VL-SPX-3 is manufactured and tested to the highest quality standards and is fully RoHS compliant. Customization is available, even in low OEM quantities.
- CANbus VL-SPX-3 Datasheet 2/15/2013 PDF 775 KB DOWNLOAD
- CANbus VL-SPX-3 Reference Manual 7/3/2017 PDF 174 KB DOWNLOAD
Additional Reference Materials
- Component Info: Microchip MCP2515 CAN Controller Datasheet 4/15/2005 PDF 996 KB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: Microchip MCP2551 High-Speed CAN Transceiver Datasheet 1/22/2007 PDF 265 KB DOWNLOAD
- Part Number Description
- VL-CBR-0901 Pico-Clasp to two SPX cables, 9-pin. 9"
- VL-CBR-1401 SPX module cable assembly, supports 2 modules, 14-pin, 6"
- VL-CBR-1402 SPX module cable assembly, supports 4 modules, 14-pin, 12"
- VL-HDW-100 Standoff package, 4x screws, 4x standoffs, 15mm, English thread
- VL-HDW-101 Standoff package, 4x screws, 4x standoffs, 15mm, Metric thread
- VL-HDW-105 Standoff package, 0.6", Metric thread
- VL-HDW-106 Standoff package, 0.6", English thread