Designed around the Intel Atom “Bay Trail” CPU. About the size of a credit card and less than an inch thick, the Hawk is ideal for small and ruggedized systems. It features soldered-on RAM and full industrial temperature operation (-40° to +85°C).
Embedded Processing Unit
A complete embedded computer in an extremely small/rugged format.
Available in single, dual and quad-core models.
No moving parts required for CPU cooling.
See datasheet for more details
|Mechanical||Size: 55 x 84 x 22 mm (2.17 x 3.31 x 0.83")|
|Mechanical||Weight: 102g (3.6 oz.)|
|Processor||Intel Bay Trail Atom E3845, E3827, or E3815|
|Power (typical)||6.1 - 7.4W depending on model|
|Bus Expansion||Mini PCIe Card Socket|
|Operating Temperature||-40°C to +85°C|
|Shock and Vibration||MIL-STD-202G|
|Memory (RAM)||Up to 4 GB soldered-down DDR3L RAM|
|Display||Intel Gen-7 graphics|
|Display||Single-channel LVDS interface|
|Storage||SATA 3 Gb/s port|
|Storage||On-board eMMC MLC Flash drive|
|Storage||One microSD socket|
|Storage||Mini PCIe socket with mSATA support|
|Ethernet||One 1GbE port (10/100/1000 autodetect)|
|USB||Four USB 2.0 host ports|
|Serial I/O||Two COM ports|
|Audio||Intel High-Definition Audio (HDA) CODEC|
|Operating System Compatibility||Most x86 operating systems including Windows, Windows Embedded, Linux and VxWorks|
|Export Info||ECCN: 5A992.c|
|Export Info||Schedule B: 8471.60.7000|
See datasheet for full specifications
The Hawk is an extremely small and rugged embedded computer. It has been engineered and tested to meet the Military and Medical industries' evolving requirements to develop smaller, lighter, and lower power embedded systems while adhering to stringent regulatory standards. Roughly the size of a credit card and less than one inch thick, the Hawk is the embedded industry's smallest, lightest, ultra-rugged embedded x86 computer. This embedded computer, equipped with an Intel Atom E38xx Bay Trail processor, is designed to withstand extreme temperature, impact, and vibration.
Available in single, dual, and quad core versions, the Hawk provides extreme performance for its size, moderate power consumption (6.1 to 7.4W typical), and a very compact package. The Hawk provides compatibility with a broad range of standard x86 application development tools for reduced development time.
The integrated Intel Gen-7 graphics core provides hardware-accelerated MPEG-4/H.264 and MPEG-2 video encoding and decoding. A standard LVDS output supports flat panel displays. An optional adapter converts the LVDS output to VGA.
Industry-standard system interfaces include Gigabit Ethernet with network boot capability, four USB 2.0 ports, two serial ports, and Intel High-Definition Audio (HDA). A SATA 3 Gb/s interface supports high-capacity storage. On-board eMMC Flash, a microSD socket and a Mini PCIe socket with mSATA support provide flexible solid-state drive (SSD) options. The Mini PCIe socket also accommodates plug-in Wi-Fi modems, GPS receivers, MIL-STD-1553, Ethernet, Firewire, and other mini cards.
Designed and tested for industrial temperature (-40° to +85°C) operation, the rugged Hawk also meets MIL-STD-202G specifications for shock and vibration. Soldered-on RAM and latching SATA, Ethernet, power, and main I/O connectors provide additional ruggedization for use in extremely harsh environments. Heat sink or heat plate versions provide fanless heat dissipation.
A wide input voltage range of 8 to 17 volts (12V typ.) simplifies system power supply requirements. It is fully compatible with 12V automotive applications.
Hawk is compatible with a variety of popular x86 operating systems including Windows, Linux, and VxWorks.
Product customization is available, even in low quantities. Options include conformal coating, BGA underfill, BIOS / splash screen configuration, application specific testing, BOM revision locks, custom labeling, etc.
VersaLogic products are designed for use by OEMs working in a variety of market applications: Aerospace, Defense, Energy, Industrial, Security, Medical, Military, Robotics, and Transportation. VersaLogic delivers extremely reliable standard and customized embedded computers backed with unsurpassed service and the highest availability in the market.
- Hawk VL-EPU-3310 Datasheet 5/29/2020 PDF 2.23 MB DOWNLOAD
- Hawk VL-EPU-3310 Hardware Reference Manual 3/19/2020 PDF 2.29 MB DOWNLOAD
- Hawk VL-EPU-3310 BIOS Reference Manual 9/28/2016 PDF 641 KB DOWNLOAD
Software Support Packages
- Windows 7 SP1 Build 7601 DRV-WIN7-BAYTRAIL 2.0.0 32- and 64-bit 6/3/2016 ZIP 283 MB DOWNLOAD
- Windows 7 DRV-WIN7-HAWK 1.0.0 32- and 64-bit 6/5/2015 ZIP 302 MB DOWNLOAD
- Windows Embedded Std 7 BSP-WES7-HAWK 1.00 6/1/2015 ZIP 266 MB DOWNLOAD
- Windows Embedded Std 7 BSP-WES7S1-HAWK 1.00 6/10/2015 ZIP 17 KB DOWNLOAD
- Windows Embedded Std 7 BSP-WES7x64-HAWK 1.00 6/1/2015 ZIP 383 MB DOWNLOAD
- Windows Embedded Std 7 BSP-WES7x64SP1-HAWK 1.00 6/1/2015 ZIP 17 KB DOWNLOAD
- BIOS Release 1.05 7/16/2018 ZIP 6.59 MB DOWNLOAD
- BIOS Release 1.04 10/16/2017 ZIP 6.48 MB DOWNLOAD
- BIOS Release 1.03 8/16/2016 ZIP 7 MB DOWNLOAD
Additional Reference Materials
- Component Info: Intel 4th Generation Atom (formerly "Bay Trail") System-on-Chip (SoC) E38xx Processor Datasheet VISIT SITE
- Component Info: Intel I210-IT Gigabit Ethernet Controller Datasheet VISIT SITE
- White Paper: "Designing for Harsh Environments Using COTS Products" 9/24/2008 PDF 749 KB DOWNLOAD
- White Paper: "The Myth: Extended Temperature Embedded Computers" 8/18/2014 PDF 1.84 MB DOWNLOAD
- White Paper: "Ultra Reliable Embedded Computing" 2/20/2014 PDF 1.01 MB DOWNLOAD
- White Paper: "The Invisible Foe - Understanding and Controlling ESD Damage" 7/9/2013 PDF 453 KB DOWNLOAD
- Part Number Description
- Cable Kit
- VL-CKR-HAWK EPU-3310 Hawk Eval. Cable Kit. Includes VL-CBR-5016, 0702, 0804, 0807, 2014, 2015, and HDW-401.
- VL-CBR-5016 I/O cable set and paddleboard
- VL-CBR-0702 SATA cable, latching, 20"
- VL-CBR-0804 Ethernet adapter cable, latching, 12" , (-20° to +75°C)
- VL-CBR-0807 Power adapter cable. ATX12 to Falcon, 12"
- VL-CBR-2014 LVDS to VGA adapter board
- VL-CBR-2015 LVDS / flat panel cable, 24-bit (Hirose), 20"
- VL-HDW-401 Thermal compound paste. For attaching heat plates and sinks.
- VL-CBR-0401 Power cable, ATX to SATA, 6.25"
- VL-CBR-0701 SATA cable, 19.75"
- VL-CBR-2016 LVDS / flat panel cable, 18-bit (JAE), 20"
- VL-CBR-2017 LVDS / flat panel cable, 24-bit 20-pin 1mm (Hirose) to 1.25mm (Hirose), 20"
- VL-PS-ATX12-300A 300W ATX-style development power supply (24+8-pin ATX connector)
- VL-HDW-108 Mini PCIe card / mSATA 10x hold-down screws for use with 2.5 mm standoffs, Metric thread, Nylon
- Solid State Drives
- VL-F41-8EBN SSD 8 GB SLC MicroSD card, industrial temperature
- VL-F41-4EBN SSD 4 GB SLC MicroSD card, industrial temperature
- VL-F41-2EBN SSD 2 GB SLC MicroSD card, industrial temperature
- Thermal Options
- VL-HDW-406 Passive Heat Sink. Mounts to product’s heat plate. 55 x 84 x 16mm
- VL-HDW-411 Cooling fan for HDW-406 passive heat sink, 12V
- VL-HDW-408 Heat Pipe system. Mounts to product’s heat plate. 55 x 84 x 8.2mm
- VL-HDW-405 Secondary mounting plate. – Flat. 75 x 84 mm. Simplifies installation in many situations. Attaches to heat plate on standard product.
- Part Number Description Form Factor
- VL-MPEs-S3E SATA Adapter, industrial temperature (SATA signaling) MSATA
- Analog & Digital I/O
- VL-MPEe-A1E Analog Input Module, x8 channels single ended (12-bit resolution), industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-A2E Analog Input Module, x8 channels single ended (16-bit resolution), industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEu-G2E GPS Receiver, industrial temperature (USB signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEu-G2E-Z GPS Receiver, no battery, industrial temperature (USB signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEu-G3E Precision GPS Receiver, industrial temperature (USB signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEu-G3E-Z Precision GPS Receiver, no battery, industrial temperature (USB signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E3E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E4E Gigabit Ethernet Over Fiber Optic media (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-E5E Two Channel Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEe-FW1E 1394 Firewire Module, industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- VL-MPEu-C1E Dual Channel CAN Bus Module (USB signaling) Mini PCIe
- Serial I/O
- VL-MPEe-U2E RS-232/422/485 x4 + GPIO x12 Module, industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
- Solid-State Storage (Flash memory)
- VL-MPEs-F1E32 32 GB mSATA drive, industrial temperature (SATA signaling) MSATA
- VL-MPEs-F1E16 16 GB mSATA drive, industrial temperature (SATA signaling) MSATA
- VL-MPEs-F1E4 4 GB mSATA drive, industrial temperature (SATA signaling) MSATA
- VL-MPEe-V5E VGA and LVDS Interface, industrial temperature (PCIe signaling) Mini PCIe
ModelsModel: VL-EPU-3310-EAP Processor: Atom E3815 Cores: 1 Speed: 1.46 GHz RAM: 2 GB eMMC Flash: None Cooling: Heat Plate OEM Pricing: Buy Sample:
Model: VL-EPU-3310-EBP Processor: Atom E3827 Cores: 2 Speed: 1.75 GHz RAM: 2 GB eMMC Flash: 4 GB Cooling: Heat Plate OEM Pricing: Buy Sample:
Model: VL-EPU-3310-EDP Processor: Atom E3845 Cores: 4 Speed: 1.91 GHz RAM: 4 GB eMMC Flash: 8 GB Cooling: Heat Plate OEM Pricing: Buy Sample: