This serial and GPIO Mini PCIe module provides a traditional serial I/O interface for legacy communication. The serial ports can be independently configured for RS-232, RS-422, or RS-485 operation. The twelve GPIO lines are independently configurable as an input or output.
RS-232, RS-422, and RS-485 Serial I/O
Operate in 4-wire mode with auto-direction control and baud rates up to 400 Kbps
Twelve general purpose I/O lines
Application Programming Interface
Simplifies software development
See datasheet for more details
|Mechanical||Size: Mini PCIe module (full size): 30 mm x 50.95 mm x 6.39 mm|
|Input Voltage||3.3V (from Mini PCIe slot)|
|Bus Interface||Mini PCIe|
|Operating Temperature||-40° to +85°C|
|Shock and Vibration||MIL-STD-202G|
|Serial I/O||Four COM ports|
|Digital I/O||Twelve general purpose I/O lines|
|Operating System Compatibility||Most x86 operating systems including Windows, Windows Embedded, Linux, VxWorks, and QNX.|
|Export Info||ECCN: 4A994.a|
|Export Info||Schedule B: 8471.60.7000|
The VL-MPEe-U2 is an extremely small and rugged I/O module based on the industry-standard Mini PCIe module format. Unlike typical I/O expansion boards, Mini PCIe allows additional I/O functions to be added to a system with almost no increase in overall system/package size. Mini PCIe modules provide a simple, economical, and standardized way to add I/O functions to embedded computer products.
In a very small package, this board provides four serial ports, twelve general purpose I/O lines, and three indicator LEDs.
This serial plus GPIO module provides a traditional serial I/O interface for legacy communication. The serial ports operate in 4-wire mode with auto-direction control and baud rates up to 400 Kbps. Each port can be independently configured (hard jumpered) for RS-232, RS-422, or RS-485 operation.
The twelve GPIO lines are independently configurable as an input or output. GPIO inputs can be set for normal or inverted level, and optionally set to generate an interrupt. GPIO outputs can be set to be normal HIGH or LOW state, or open drain.
The on-board indicator LEDs include one power indicator and two user LEDs that can be jumpered to GPIO pins.
This rugged product is designed and tested for full industrial temperature operation (-40º to +85ºC). It also meets MIL-STD-202G specifications for shock and vibration. Latching connectors provide additional ruggedization, making it at home in harsh environments.
The VL-MPEe-U2 board includes device drivers and the VersaAPI Application Programing Interface. The VersaAPI includes pre-defined calls to send or retrieve data from the on-board I/O ports. These calls greatly simplify development of the user code needed to access these ports. On the VL-MPEe-U2 board, the VersaAPI supports the on-board GPIO lines. The VersaAPI is compatible with Windows, and Linux operating systems.
This I/O board is compatible with a variety of popular x86 operating systems including Windows, Linux, VxWorks, and QNX.
The module utilizes PCIe signaling and can be used in any system that supports PCIe signaling at the Mini PCIe socket.
Product customization is available, even in low quantities. Options include conformal coating, application-specific testing, BOM revision locks, special labeling, etc.
VersaLogic products are designed for use by OEMs working in a variety of market applications: Aerospace, Defense, Energy, Industrial, Security, Medical, Military, Robotics, and Transportation. Anywhere that the need for superb quality and high-performance embedded computing exists, applications include: automation, avionics, gateway, in-vehicle, monitoring, simulation, and vision.
VersaLogic delivers extremely reliable standard and customized embedded computers backed with unsurpassed service and the highest availability in the market. VersaLogic exists to exceed customers' product, service, support and delivery needs - whenever and wherever the need arises.
- Serial + GPIO VL-MPEe-U2 Datasheet 3/16/2016 PDF 1.29 MB DOWNLOAD
- Serial + GPIO VL-MPEe-U2 Reference Manual 6/26/2017 PDF 158 KB DOWNLOAD
Software Support Packages
- Windows 7 SP1 Build 7601 VersaAPI 1.1.0 32-bit 4/30/2015 ZIP 3.1 MB DOWNLOAD
- Windows XP (SP3) VersaAPI 1.0.0 32-bit 7/2/2014 ZIP 3.3 MB DOWNLOAD
- Windows Embedded Std 7 SP1 Build 7601 VersaAPI 1.1.0 for WES7 32-bit 4/30/2015 ZIP 3.1 KB DOWNLOAD
- Windows Embedded XPe VersaAPI 1.0.0 32-bit 7/2/2014 ZIP 3.3 MB DOWNLOAD
- Linux Debian VersaAPI 1.0.0 32-bit 6/27/2014 ZIP 184 KB DOWNLOAD
- Linux Ubuntu 14.04.4 VersaAPI 1.4.2 32-bit 9/1/2016 ZIP 96 KB DOWNLOAD
- Linux Ubuntu 14.04.4 VersaAPI 1.4.2 64-bit 9/1/2016 ZIP 95 KB DOWNLOAD
- Linux Knoppix VersaAPI 1.1.0 32-bit 4/30/2015 TGZ 31 KB DOWNLOAD
Additional Reference Materials
- Component Info: Exar XR17V354 Quad PCIe UART with MPIO Datasheet 3/16/2005 PDF 635 KB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: Exar XR17V354 Quad PCIe UART with MPIO Driver for Ubuntu ZIP 21 KB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: Exar XR17V354 Quad PCIe UART with MPIO Driver for Linux ZIP 14 KB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: Exar XR17V354 Quad PCIe UART with MPIO Driver for Linux 2.6.32 ZIP 14 KB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: Exar XR17V354 Quad PCIe UART with MPIO Driver for Win XP ZIP 662 KB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: Exar XR17V354 Quad PCIe UART with MPIO Driver for Win Vista/7 ZIP 439 KB DOWNLOAD
- Part Number Description
- VL-CBR-1014 RS232 two channel cable 2xDsub (9-pin), latching, 12"
- VL-CBR-1502 GPIO screw terminal paddleboard, and cable, Latching, 12"
- VL-HDW-108 Mini PCIe card / mSATA 10x hold-down screws for use with 2.5 mm standoffs, Metric thread, Nylon
- VL-HDW-110 Mini PCIe module 10x hold-down screws for use with 2.0 mm standoffs, Nylon
- Part Number Description Form Factor
- VL-EPM-P2E PC/104-Plus Mini PCIe socket x2 adapter, industrial temperature PC/104-Plus
- VL-EPMp-P2E PCI-104 Mini PCIe socket x2 Adapter, industrial temperature PCI-104